Sunday 20 May 2018

Chain of Command Kampfgruppe von Luck PSC - Scenario 2


Scenario Two - Probe amongst the Hedgerows




After the initial contact with the German Patrols (Scenario One), the British paras (already understrength) had lost 3 men killed, 2 men missing in action and 2 men wounded.  Another man and the Platoon sniper had been captured by the germans and would not be returning to the field any time soon.

This left the Brits down 9 bodies, and with the Platoon 2" mortar, PIAT team and two bren teams still missing Scenario 2 was always going to be a tricky one.





The view from the British end!


The germans have to get a unit off the board, and with only 4 support points and 17 men to stop them, this was going to be tricky.  I knew the sunken lane running through the buildings was a bit of a death trap, and a well placed PIAT or team with grenades could cause havoc to halftracks running down the lane, so I put a roadblock on the lane leading off the road.  This left three options to the germans - the open fields to their left and right flanks, or through the woods in the middle.


 This was the initial plan I had got - I'd expected Sam to use the Werfer Barrage, and get a JoP in the woods.  Then I was expecting the Halftracks or Schlepper up the sunken lane, and possibly a section of infantry deploying on my left flank threatening the fields, so I wanted a JoP in there, one in the farm buildings and one on the right flank.



 If I could hunker down a full section of two brens, in cover, I could reasonably hold off a section of Grenadiers for a while, cause a few casualties and then withdraw.  If the Schlepper turned up, staying out of the houses would be wise but just a threat of grenades, PIAT's or mortars should be enough to keep it down the bottom of the map.

If I spaced my JOP's out I could try and react to the german approaches.  A sniper in one of the buildings could cause them some concern and not be too bothered about being targeted (unless spotted). I can use smoke to blind the sunken lane and move between the buildings to block off the approaches, and if (and it's a big IF) I could take out a section of Grenadiers and even the numbers up a bit, I could make that count.


British and German JoPs after the Patrol Phase - with a roadblock covering the centre road
At least that was the plan.  As in Scenario One, my opponent took me a little by surprise!

The whine of the werfer mortars signalled the beginning of the Germans push into the town.  Lt Dring gathered the men he had left in the cellar of a house on the edge of the town. "Jerry is on the way," he began, " and we need to at least slow them down so the chaps behind us have got a chance.  When the barrage stops, listen for my whistle and then open up on the Germans with everything you have.  If they get up to the roadblock, we'll fall back to the crossroads."  The men nodded grimly and checked their weapons.

I knew I was bringing a roadblock, and that left 2 support points spare.  I needed to roll for my remaining sections to see who was back - 2 bren teams, 2" mortar and PIAT, so I rolled - only one bren team returned!

Still missing some vital support, and expecting vehicles, I brought a PIAT option from the support list.

Force Morale rolls were good for the Brits (11) and bad for the Germans (8), but having 4 patrol markers I couldn't get out of the blocks fast enough, and sure enough I had my JoPs pinned back in my own half.

My available troops consisted of -

Platoon Lt
Platoon Sgt

JL + Section (2 x brens and crew and 2 men)
JL + Bren team + 1 man
PIAT team

Sniper

18 men.

The Germans, plus their support choices (which I don't know at this point) were made up of 

2 senior leaders
medic
Adjutant
PanzerShrek team
3 sections of JL, 2 LMG teams and 3 men.
2 x Unic P107 halftracks.
Werfer Barrage

The Unic P107 has got 3 mounts for LMG's, so we agreed that the forward spot and one of the side ones could be used to fire a sections LMG's if needed.



I was expecting a Werfer Barrage, and sure enough when I started to deploy on the first phase, Sam informed me that I had been subjected to this barrage again.  5's and 6's to deploy, and the Germans would be closing up pretty quick.

I rolled a double 6 for my first phase, and a CoC point, but managed to deploy no one in the first phase!

Second phase I rolled 3 CoC points and still failed to deploy anyone - luckily I was accruing CoC points and Sam realised he need to get boots on the round, so with his first phase he brought on a section on foot and a HT.

My third phase, and  got another 3 CoC points (so I had 7 now!) and still managed to deploy no units - I could have ended the turn before deploying, however I had rolled 6,5,5,5,2 so could only deploy 1 section (who would not be able to do much) so I ended the Werfer barrage at the end of this phase.

Lt Drings  urgent whistle signalled the time for the Paras to take their positions.  The rumble of tracks and barked german orders came from the woods to the south.  In the foremost building, a sniper took up position in the louvred window.  

Sam then brought on another HT and started rumbling up the sunken lane.  It stopped and put itself on Overwatch, covering the sunken lane. 






Meanwhile the german section on my right flank started to move out of the woods.  




My only section available were designated to hold the left flank, but if these grenadiers got up close I would have nothing to deal with them, so I brought my only full section on and started to move them across the sunken lane.  More on this later!





A second half track covers the sunken lane

My sniper fired on the germans in the open, and one german soldier fell down dead.  I had at this point also deployed one of my Senior Leaders in here, as I though (wrongly) that the SL could order a sniper to fire as one of his activations.

Sgt Beir crept up into the first floor of the building, where Lance Corporal Mahone, the platoon sniper, had taken up position.  "See anything?" he asked.  "2 halftracks coming down the road full of Jerries, and 10 germans coming out of the woods." replied the sniper.  There was a crack as he fired his Lee Enfield rifle.  "9 Germans now" he said, smiling.

The next phase, and the start of my plan unravelling.  Instead of trundling down the sunken lane, the german Halftracks both turned towards my roadblock.  Thinking my opponent wasn't sure what it was, I pointed it out to him again and he just nodded and carried on down the track.


The first half track moves up the lane, avoiding the main road
On the other flank, the germans were a large inviting party in the open, but my dice were poor. I did have a double turn however, so could do something on the right hopefully. I deployed my single Bren section on the left flank, and brought on my other Senior Leader on the right. 

Lt Ding had heard the crack of L.Cpl Mahones rifle on the Paras right flank, and the Halftracks were rumbling up to the roadblock.  Sensing the Germans must be trying to push the right flank, he shouted over to his main section and order the bren guns to cross the road and push the germans back on the right.  On the left flank, if the PIAT didn't take one of these vehicles out soon, there was going to be trouble.

He ordered the men to throw a smoke grenade into the road and run around the building to cover the right flank, where a low wall was the only thing stopping the Germans from exiting the table.  The smoke distance was about 7 inches, so I rolled 2D6 for the distance.  11!  the smoke grenade bounced behind the house, not covering the road at all.

Not deterred by this, the SL then ordered the men to run across the road.  They had about 10 inches to cover to get everyone over the road, hoping to get set up in overwatch on the wall.  I knew the JL could clear the shock, and we only had to go 7 inches to get in the smoke, so I rolled 3D6 for the run.

6 stared back at me.

Undeterred again, the section began to shamble across the road.  Double turn, so next phase I rolled again.  another double phase!  The Senior Leader again ordered the men to continue to the trees to take up a firing position against the german section.  Not as far to go now, only a few inches so they took a 2d6 run...









  "Get your bloody arses over there!" shouted Lt Ding.  The smoke grenade bounced awkwardly and went off behind the house, completely failing to cover the road.  The Para section hesitated, not sure if another smoke grenade was forthcoming.  "GO GO GO" he shouted, and this time the Paras went.

As my opponent chuckled, I moved the paras another 2" towards their target, not quite making it out of the road.  I had another phase, but what was left on the board didn't have anything to do so I put the second bren team in overwatch and rolled for my third phase.

this one brought out a 1, so I attempted to deploy my PIAT team.  With both SL on the board, he would only come on on a 4+, so I rolled.  Another 1.  the PIAT would have to wait!

Over on the right, the JL ordered the section to 'LEFT TURN' smartish and face the germans, which they did finally.  It had taken 4 phases to get the Brits into position, about 19" away from their Jump off Point (from which they can deploy 9").  Unable to fire over the wall or go into overwatch, they stood around looking foolishly for the germans, who had (on Sams subsequent phase) about turned, and ran down into the sunken lane, out of sight of the Paras!







  As the Bren gunners rounded the back of the house and prepared to open fire on the germans who had appeared, the only thing they found was a brief glimpse of square helmets as the germans ducked round the other side.  They were obviously not up for a fight this time, and Lt Ding knew that if they got behind the Brits they would be cut off.  "Fall back!" he shouted.  They hadn't quite put up the defence they wanted to, but at least they hadn't taken any casualties as far as he knew.


In the middle the two Halftracks had moved up to the roadblock and disgorged one section of Grenadiers.  A german medic and Shrek team had also turned up for good measure, and the Shrek team were setting up to fire a round at the building where my sniper was, so the Platoon Sergeant in that building vacated the area sharpish.  


 

Sams units were now a couple of good phases away from getting off the board and winning the scenario, and I'd not put a dent in this platoon either.

On the plus side, we had not taken any casualties, and on my next (and final) phase, I finally managed to deploy the support PIAT into the hedge near the roadblock, 7" away from the now empty Halftrack.

At the hastily prepared rubble roadblock, Corporal 'Nobby' Nobbs had been waiting patiently with his PIAT loaded.  As the two halftracks rumbled into view, Nobby pointed his PIAT through a gap in the hedge and pulled the trigger.  Nothing happened, and at that point he could see Germans jumping off the side of the tracked vehicle and into the lane behind.  Realising the safety was on, Nobby quickly flicked it off and fired again.  The little mortar pinged off into the side of the halftrack, and Nobby was most surprised to see it immediately burst into flames.  "take that you bosche bastards!" he shouted, and was answered straight away by a burst of MG42 fire that ripped through the hedge.  Giggling with excitement, Nobby grabbed up the case of PIAT rounds and sprinted back to the safety of a low wall.  As he leapt over the wall, he turned and saw his number two had taken a bullet in his leg and was still in the hedgerow.  Nobby heard the whistle calling for the fall back, and reluctantly slipped away into the hedges behind him.

Unable to resist the urge, the PIAT team took aim and BOING! - its HEAT round hit the french halftrack, which promptly burst into flames.  The subsequent explosion had little effect on the departing germans, who turned straight around fired back through the hedge and took out the ammo carrier of the PIAT team.
BOING!

This took German FM down to 6, although they were very close to getting off the board and I could no longer envisage stopping them.  The PIAT chap and a single Bren team were now facing down the barrels of 4 MG42s and several rifles, and all my firepower was over on the right flank with no targets to shoot at.  The third german section had climbed over the high walls and were threatening the JoP I had placed there, so with all that looming over the Brits we withdrew a little further down the road, hopefully to make a good stand in Scenario 3.

After all the action, which had resolved itself as a very interesting and tactical game of British Bulldog, Sam had taken 1 casualty KIA (from the sniper) and lost a Halftrack.  The germans only get 3 halftracks in the whole campaign, so that's a slight dent in the German support lines but not much.

For the Brits, we hadn't lost anyone apart from a support crew member, and with my 4 riflemen returning from last games mortar barrage, and 2 men returning from the Field Station, I'll have a full rifle team back for the next map.

I'll also get to roll for the organic PIAT and 2" mortar, plus the final bren team to show up.

Rushing through the orchard and into the courtyard of their RP, the Paras heard an explosion behind them.  Lt Ding recognised it at once.  "Demolition charges", he said, "they are clearing the road block.  Take your positions!"  He knew that now Jerry was in the town he would be able to put up a proper defence.  This is what they had trained so hard for.

The next map is the 'Corridor of Death', and with a few more bodies and bren guns I'm hoping I can at least hold up the Germans 3rd platoon.  I have the option of a Naval Barrage, which might allow me to reroll failed rolls for the final teams, or I could alternatively bring in another platoon - but this full platoon needs to run the rest of the campaign, which (apart from Scenario 4) could be 2 or more turns.

At the end of the game we rolled for the outcome of the CO and mens morale.  Von Luck is more than happy with the performance of the Germans so far, and his opinion of his company is up to +4.  This gives the Germans one extra support point.  The German men have been impressed with Sams ability to look after them, and their roll after their two victories gave them +3 on their opinion, which is a +1 on their FM roll for the next game.

The Brits have had it tough, and the CO was not overly impressed with the two withdrawals, giving them -1 on his overall opinion.  The men, although they started with an opinion of +2 have also taken casualties and their opinion is down to +1.

We also rolled for the Platoon leaders personalities.  The leader of the German Platoons is a short but wiry 27 year old former Doktor of Engineering, called Helmut Kase.

The 1st Lieutenant of the 12th Battalion, B Company 2nd platoon,is an intelligent, tall thin man called Bill Ding, a former Grammar School boy from Leeds who was training to be a master carpenter before being called up, and identified as leader material during basic training.  After volunteering for the Paras, Lt Ding was given the platoon he had trained with during his Para training and now leads them. 

HIs right hand man is the Platoon Sergeant, a giant, no nonsense South African called Artur Beir.  He both inspires and terrifies his men in equal measure.  He also speaks fluent German, which comes in handy when he shouts at Germans to surrender after throwing grenades at them.

The next map is 'The Corridor of Death', where the Germans will have to push the Paras out of the outskirts of the town.  The buildings and high walls in this part of town will mean a tough job for the Germans, and depending on how much resistance the Paras can put up they might be able to make it even harder!

On to Scenario 3 here








2 comments:

Morgan said...

Exciting stuff! It's hard to mount a decent defence if the chaps don't actually show up to do their bit.

One minor thing: On your third phase, you say: "... I got another 3 CoC points (so I had 7 now!) and still managed to deploy no units - I could have ended the turn before deploying, however I had rolled 6,5,5,5,2 so could only deploy 1 section (who would not be able to do much) so I ended the Werfer barrage at the end of this phase." You actually wouldn't have been able to end the turn and then deploy.

If you already have a full CoC dice, you can choose to end the turn *before* rolling the dice at the beginning of your phase; you would carry out the "End of Turn" admin and then you roll the dice for your phase.

If you spend the CoC dice to end the turn *after* rolling them, the turn will end at the completion of this phase. So, in the case above, you would need to decide if you are doing anything with the 2 and you can then choose to end the turn or not, before your opponent starts. Which is what you ended up doing, of course.

Moortz said...

I'm with you, makes sense. We're still kind of learning the rules as we go along! We had the same kind of issue in the first scenario when I wanted to withdraw after the end of my phase, but had to wait until the end of the next german phase before I could pull out. Thanks!